Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Black Beans are NOT Stella Friendly

It has taken me a few days to write about this event, mostly because I was traumatized, but also because I've been busy.

So I'm still a relative newbie to the amazing act of nursing a baby. Of course I know that whatever I eat, ultimately nourishes Stella as well, but the usual things that all nursing mothers are warned about don't seem to bother her (pizza, dairy, spicy food). So I got a little complacent in my diet. Big mistake!

Last week I tapped into my supply of pre-prepared meals that I had frozen earlier in my pregnancy and pulled out a Crock Pot Black Bean Salsa Chicken deliciousness. Not a very creative name for a dish that was actually really good- and easy. The next day, Stella was pretty fussy. I didn't really think much about it- all infants have fussy days right? Good news was that I had Black Bean Salsa Chicken leftovers to soothe my frazzled nerves. This was also the day of our Chipotle picnic, so more black beans for Mom! Yes- it was a good day :)

Stella was pretty fussy the next day as well, but I just figured it was because she's getting older and is finding her voice a little more- right? Plus Jim was out of town, so maybe she was missing her Dad. That's what I kept telling myself anyway. That is until bathtime that evening, after which she promptly projectile vomited all over me, and herself. This was not just a little spit up- this was more along the lines of the entire contents of her stomach- and I did not know how much liquid a little baby could hold- it's a lot. Cole was impressed with his sister's newfound grossness and has talked about the amount of vomit every day since it happened! He also thought I was going to have to cut myself out of my shirt- no person in their right mind would pull that shirt off over their head- right!

But back to the story- that amount of spit up, while impressive, was out of the ordinary for Miss Stella, so I started to think about what I had been eating that might have caused a problem- the final verdict- yep- black beans. So I'm bummed because I love black beans, but I do not love being covered in vomit, so I will abstain. And Stella definitely does not like black beans. If that is the only thing that I love to eat, that I now have to abstain from, I can deal with that.

And here's some Stella cuteness- enjoy!

Stella modeling her new jeans from Uncle Greg & Aunt Emily- she's very stylish.


I love these tiny toes.


Even without the beans, the girl is getting plenty to eat- look at those cheeks! She's going to give her big brother a run for his money in the baby chub factor!

Happy Tuesday Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment