Friday, October 22, 2010

Built-In Babysitter

This was a phrase that I used to hear when I was younger and my mom was pregnant with my little brothers. Being 10 years older than Mike and 12 years older than Greg people used to tell my mom how lucky she was to have a "built-in babysitter." I did do some babysitting for my brothers, and I'm sure that was convenient for my mom to have responsible older kids in the house to rely on in a pinch. I did let Cole know early on in my pregnancy when we started to hear this phrase that I would not be relying on him to watch Stella unless he wanted to. I just didn't feel like it was his responsibility to take care of her. After all, it was Jim and I who decided to have a baby, not Cole.

Well, within a few days of Stella being home, Cole asked if I could show him how to change her diaper- just in case he ever needed to, and last week he offered to watch her while we went to the store. So, I needed to go to the dentist yesterday afternoon, so I put it out there that I was going to need someone to watch Stella for about an hour . Cole was all over it. He was very excited, and a little nervous, to be in charge and watch his sister for the first time.

In preparation for the big day, we talked technique. I showed him how to feed and burp her, swaddle her, and of course reminded him how the diaper change goes. He felt like he was set. The only thing he was really worried about was if she started to cry. He felt like he could handle anything else that she could throw at him- after all, she's little.

I'm happy to report that their first solo experience was successful! Cole had her fed and asleep in her bouncer seat when Jim got home. He was feeling pretty good about his accomplishment- rightfully so.

It really is so nice to know that there is a responsible young adult in the house who is fully capable of helping out in a pinch.


No comments:

Post a Comment