Wednesday, November 3, 2010

...And Smart

I believe in the power of suggestion


I am also a bit of a modern day feminist. When we found out that we were going to have a girl, we were both thrilled and a little bit terrified. Raising little girls presents a different set of challenges than raising a boy. I am painfully aware of the messages that society and the media send to little girls, and I want to ensure that my daughter grows up with a positive self-image. Of course, at 6 weeks post partum, I'm probably overthinking this, but it's never too early to start thinking about it right?


Like every other parent, we believe that our daughter is absolutely beautiful, and tell her that often. I suppose she hears statements about her cuteness about a hundred times a day, but at our house, we always follow up that statement with a statement about her obvious intelligence. It sounds a little like this:
"Stella, you're so cute.... and smart."
I am also proud to share that as a little boy who has been raised by his feminist mother, Cole is very sensitive to gender inequalities, and often points out things that he sees in school. He recognizes the girls who buy in to the messages that society and the media sends to little girls, and knows that he wants something different for his sister. He encourages us to avoid buying clothes for Stella that reference her as a princess. Some of those clothes are super cute, but I support Cole's position- so our girl wears gear that looks more like this:


Only time will tell what, if any, difference any of this will make in the life and development of Stella. I'm sure growing up with loving and devoted parents, a big brother who thinks she hung the moon, as well as grandparents, aunts & uncles who love her can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment