Saturday, November 20, 2010

She's Crafty

In preparation for the switch to cloth diapers, I've been thinking about buying Stella some of these Babylegs. They are basically legwarmers to replace pants. The reason why they are valuable when first making the swich to cloth diapers is that I'm planning on using one size fits all diapers, so you can imagine that on a smaller baby like Stella, there will be some bulk that might be a little tough to navigate with pants.

So, I have shopped around for Babylegs and they usually run about $12-$15 which seemed like a lot to pay for legwarmers. The other night on Baby Steals they had Babylegs for $9.99 a pair- still too much, I thought, for a simple legwarmer, so I started googling.

And then I decided to get crafty.

I found this tutorial for making your own Babylegs, and I figured I could give it a shot. I bought a pack of 3 pair of women's socks from Wal Mart for $5.


So far so good.

I don't have a sewing machine, so I had to hand stitch.
I did two rows of stitching to add a little extra strength.


Here is the finished product.


I managed to make 2 pair in about an hour from start to finish (including the time it took me to find my sewing box and thread the needle).


What do you think?
Stella loves them!

So, basically I got 3 pair of Babylegs for $5.
I think they would be really fun with some of the holiday print socks that are out right now.

I realized after I made them that they would serve really nicely to wear under dresses in place of tights. I did buy Stella a couple of pair of tights, but they sell tights sizes 0-6 months, and the ones that she has are WAY too long for her. Now I'll just buy a couple of pair of socks and make my own. Plus these make diaper changing much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment