Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Got Milk?

**Warning- this post is about breast milk**

I spend a lot of time every day thinking about feeding Stella.
I don't nurse her anymore,
but she still gets breastmilk.
That means that 4 or 5 times every day I pump.
I didn't realize how much work it would be to be an "exclusive pumper."
Some days it seems like a full-time job.
I've kind of gotten it down to a science though.
I try to pump at the same times each day,
and luckily I make more milk each day than Stella consumes, so I'm able to freeze some.


There are some herbal supplements that I take that help in my milk production.
I drink Mother's Milk tea 3 times a day.
And I also take another herbal supplement.
It's amazing how well they work.


Here is our freezer.
Each one of these ziploc bags has about a weeks worth of milk in it for the daycare.
I currently have 15 bags.
My goal is to freeze enough milk so that I can stop pumping
and just use our freezer stash to get her to her first birthday.
I think I'll be able to accomplish that by the end of May.
I hope!
People keep telling me that I should sell the milk.
I actually looked into it because I was curious and it goes for about $1/oz.
I usually can freeze around 100 oz per week.
That would be a nice part time job.
But I also kind of hate pumping, so I'm not sure that I'd really ever pursue that.
There is actually quite a market for buying breastmilk though.
Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment