Saturday, January 22, 2011

Marathon Training- Week 1

Today officially began marathon training in our house.
Both Jim & Cole are planning to run
the Lincoln Half-Marathon this year.
The date for the marathon is Sunday, May 1st
so we're about 14 weeks out from D-Day.


This will be Cole's first half-marathon.
He has participated in Cross Country and
does long-distance events in track
at school, so he is familiar with running.
But training for the half-marathon takes a different level of committment.
He is using the training schedule at


Jim did the half-marathon last year and did awesome.
His finish time was 2:08.
Yes, 2 hours and 8 minutes.

I get winded jogging across the street to get the mail!
And these 2 guys are committing to running for 2+ hours!
Jim's goal this year is to beat last year's time.
Cole's goal is to finish.
I think both goals are do-able.

I used to run as well- although not at this level.
I have done several 5K's and actually really enjoy it.
After Stella was born, I had a moment of thinking that maybe
I would also throw my hat in the ring of the half-marathon.
I have since realized that this is not the year for me.
Right now my main focus is providing food for our daughter
and for me, that doesn't appear to coincide with running.
Not to mention the time committment for 3 people
doing marathon training doesn't seem to be possible with an infant in the house.
So for now, Stella and I are thrilled to be #1 supporters of our resident runners.
Maybe next year.

So, this begins a new segment on the blog:
marathon training updates.
I plan to do weekly updates on both
Jim & Cole's progress in training
Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment